Monday, April 23, 2007

assessment #1

Finally… I have spent a great deal of time in the last few weeks catching up to where I should be in MPI104-2007. At least, I hope I’ve caught up!

I have 21 posts in my blog account, plus a Technorati link, a counter, sidebar links to my flickr and delicious accounts and a YouTube video bar that I’ve set to play music. I have also imbedded photos from the net and from flickr. The items on the assessment checklist have all been completed.

My flickr account has 79 photos. I had trouble with organising these because of the free-account limit of 3 sets; I’d already created 2 for GRP224-2007 as part of my submission for an assignment. When I tried to combine them I ran into difficulty and accidentally deleted an image. I’ll have to delete all images from 1 of the sets and re-upload them into the other. I’ll then divide the remaining photo’s I’ve already uploaded and those ready to upload into some sort of order. All images have been correctly tagged and the assessment checklist points accomplished.

The delicious account has 20 bookmarks, bundled tags, links for others and bookmarks to my blog and flickr accounts. All other checklist items from the assessment list have been completed.

All of my accounts have degrees of ‘interestingness’, although that is highly subjective and hard to quantify. I believe this is the case because of the eclectic nature of the material I have uploaded or posted. My blog, for example has information about extreme body modification, pavement art and The John Butler Trio. In addition to items of interest I have posted materials that will be of benefit to me over the course of my graphic design studies - animating in Photoshop.

Delicious really came to be useful for me, not only did I learn the basics of the interface, but I've been able to bookmark sites that I will actually be using this semester for another course. All items in the bundled tag refer to information relating to BMW - specifically its logo and identity. Additionally I've bookmarked information about creating vector art; also need for this semester. There are links to sites related to comedy, music and art.

Flickr is not as eclectic as my other 2 accounts- the time needed to resize, crop and retouch images has prevented me from uploading all that I'm intending to. In addition to the visual diary information for GRP224-2007, I have images for GRP223-2007 and photos from my own life. Already selected and scanned, but still to resize etc, are photos relating to my uni work in illustration and design and images of my scrapbooking and cardmaking.

Of the 3 sites we have used in the first 1/2 of this semester blogger has been the most fun, flickr the most work and delicious the most potentially useful.

No comments: